The Livestock Project Protocol underwent a policy revision to make improvements and changes to the protocol, including the incorporation of errata, clarifications, and feedback received since Version 3.0 was adopted. See the summary of changes document below for a detailed list of revisions and additions. The protocol was adopted by the Reserve’s Board on January 23, 2013.
Public Comment Webinar
The Reserve hosted a public webinar on Tuesday, November 27 that was open to all interested stakeholders to discuss the proposed changes from Version 3.0 to Version 4.0. The Reserve used feedback from the webinar along with written comments received during the public comment period to inform decisions about the proposed changes. Please see the link below to find slides from the webinar.
- U.S. Livestock Protocol Version 4.0 Public Comment Webinar Slides (November 27, 2012)
Public Comment Period
|Camco International Group, Inc.||Sage Metering, Inc.|
|Michigan State University||University of California|
- U.S. Livestock Project Protocol Version 3.0 (September 29, 2010)
- Errata and Clarifications to U.S. Livestock Project Protocol Version 3.0 (July 21, 2016)
- Livestock Project Protocol Summary
The Livestock Project Protocol Version 3.0 policy revision was adopted by the Reserve Board in September 2010. The protocol underwent minor edits, clarifications and significant revisions. Please see the Summary of Revisions document below for a detailed discussion of the changes.
U.S. and Mexico Livestock Project Protocol Summary of Revisions (September 29, 2010)
The public comments received during the public comment period and the staff responses to public comments are available below.
|AgRefresh||Sage Metering, Inc.|
|Camco International Group Inc||TerraPass Inc.|
- Livestock Project Protocol Version 2.2 (November 3, 2009)
- Livestock Project Verification Protocol Version 2.2 (November 3, 2009)
- Errata and Clarifications to Livestock Project Protocol Version 2.2 (January 21, 2014)
- Livestock Project Protocol Summary
The Livestock Project Protocol Version 2.2 technical revision was completed in November 2009. This revision involved editorial changes to make the protocol consistent with Reserve program updates as well as improvements to methodologies and clarifying protocol guidance. Notable changes from Version 2.1 include:
- Updated project start date language
- Inclusion of new data substitution methodology
- Revised biogas metering and meter calibration requirements
- Updated biogas collection efficiency default value
- Updated state-specific volatile solids default values
- Livestock Project Reporting Protocol Version 2.1 (August 20, 2008)
- Livestock Project Verification Protocol Version 2.1 (August 20, 2008)
- Errata and Clarifications to Livestock Project Reporting Protocol Version 2.1 (January 21, 2014)
- Livestock Protocol Summary
- Verification of Data Substitution and Calibration Practices (July 21, 2009)
The Livestock Project Protocol Version 2.1 was completed by the Reserve in August 2008. As it was a technical revision, it did not require public comment or Board approval.
To maintain consistency with international best practice, the default Maximum Methane Potential (Bo) value for dairy cows was updated from 0.35 to 0.24 (m3/kg VS). This update (Table B.3, Appendix B) is the only change from Version 2.0 to Version 2.1 of the Livestock Project Reporting Protocol.
- Livestock Project Reporting Protocol Version 2.0 (August 12, 2008)
- Livestock Project Verification Protocol Version 2.0 (August 12, 2008)
- Errata and Clarifications to Livestock Project Reporting Protocol Version 2.0 (July 21, 2016)
The Livestock Project Protocol Version 2.0 was completed by the Reserve in August 2008. As it was a policy revision, there was a public comment period and the protocol was sent to the Reserve Board for approval. Notable changes include:
- Requirement to compare ex-post metered methane data to the calculation results.
- Update to the project monitoring section
- Addition on various default values/look up tables (typical animal mass values, volatile solids, biogas control system collection efficiency, etc.)
- Changed default percentage of VS in digester effluent from 30% to 20%
All of the changes in Version 2.0 are detailed in the document below:
Livestock Project Protocol Summary of Changes from Version 1.0 to 2.0 (August 12, 2008)
|AgRefresh||Environmental Power Corporation and Microgy, Inc.|
|California Department of Food & Agriculture||TerraPass|
|Daniel Farchy, Project Developer||Western United Dairymen|
Staff Response to Public Comments, Version 2.0 (August 2008)
- Livestock Project Reporting Protocol Version 1.0 (June 19, 2007)
- Livestock Project Verification Protocol Version 1.0 (June 19, 2007)
The Reserve began development of the Livestock Project Protocol during spring 2006. The technical workgroup met from fall 2006 to spring 2007, during which time drafts of the protocol were made available for public comment. Staff made final revisions to the protocol based on the public comments received and the Reserve Board adopted the protocol in June 2007.
Staff Response to Public Comments, Version 1.0 (August 2008)
|William Salas||Applied Geosolutions|
|Patrick Gaffney||California Air Resources Board|
|Kitty Howard||California Air Resources Board|
|Doug Thompson||California Air Resources Board|
|Dan Weller||California Air Resources Board|
|Steve Schaffer||California Department of Food and Agriculture|
|Cynthia Cory||CA Farm Bureau|
|Suzy Friedman||Environmental Defense|
|Martha Davis||Inland Empire Utility Agency|
|Scott Leloni||Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Initiatives|
|Allen Dusault||Sustainable Conservation|
|Michael Boccadoro||The Dolphin Group|
|Melissa Weitz||U.S. EPA|
|Frank Mitleohner||UC Davis|
|Paul Martin||Western United Dairymen|
|Paul Sousa||Western United Dairymen|
Please contact the Policy Team with questions or comments.