The Nitric Acid Production Protocol provides guidance to account for, report, and verify GHG emission reductions associated with the installation and use of a nitrous oxide (N2O) emission control technology, i.e. secondary and tertiary catalysts, to reduce N2O emissions generated as a byproduct of nitric acid production. The protocol is applicable at nitric acid production facilities in the United States and its territories. This protocol was first adopted by the Reserve Board in December 2009.
- Nitric Acid Production Protocol Version 2.2 (April 18, 2019)
- Nitric Acid Production Protocol V2.2 Summary
- Nitric Acid Production Protocol Version 2.2 – Redline from Version 2.1
The Nitric Acid Production Protocol is not currently undergoing revision.
Protocol Development & Previous Versions
Use the links below to access information about the protocol development process of the Nitric Acid Production Protocol. Public comments, staff responses to public comments, workgroup participants, and other supporting documents can also be found here.
Click a version of the protocol below to access more information:
- Version 2.2 (April 18, 2019)
- Version 2.1 (June 21, 2016)
- Version 2.0 (September 28, 2011)
- Version 1.0 (December 2, 2009)
Please contact the Reserve with questions or comments.