Program Manuals and Policies
The Climate Action Reserve Program Manual summarizes the Reserve’s overarching principles, its general project accounting guidelines, and its rules and procedures for registering projects and creating offset credits. It also describes the process used by the Reserve to develop protocols for carbon offset projects.
The Reserve may release policy memos that update or replace guidance in the Program Manual, protocols, and other guidance documents. These memos are considered effective on the date they are posted on the Reserve website. All account holders and verification bodies will be notified if a policy memo is released.
- Quantitative Materiality Threshold Clarification (August 29, 2013)
- Registration Under Prior Protocol Versions (June 4, 2013)
- Verification Deadline for Registered Projects (May 13, 2013)
- Lead Verifier Training and Certification (January 10, 2013)
- Forest Projects with Easements and Other Encumbrances that Impact the Forest Carbon (November 15, 2012)
- Environmental and Social Safeguards Policy (September 27, 2012)
- Verification Deadline for Initial Verification Period (August 16, 2012)
- Project Diagram Required at Verification (February 13, 2012)
- Project Start Date and Initiation of Reporting (November 29, 2011)
- Use of eGRID Electricity Emission Factors for All Project Protocols (May 3, 2011)
- Implications of EPA GHG Permitting Requirements under the Clean Air Act for Reserve Protocols and GHG Offset Projects (January 13, 2011)
- Immediate Crediting of Future Avoided Emissions (September 7, 2010)
Verification Program Manual
The Reserve Verification Program Manual provides verification bodies with a standardized approach for the independent and rigorous verification of GHG emission reductions and removals. It gives insight into the verification process, the requirements for conducting verification (like accreditation and training), conflict of interest and confidentiality provisions, and the expected core verification activities.