- ARB Compliance Offset Protocol for U.S. Forest Projects
- Comparison of Reserve Forest Project Protocol to ARB Compliance Offset Protocol for Forest Projects
|Forest Project Protocol Version 3.2
(August 31, 2010)
|The revision from Forest Project Protocol Version 3.1 to 3.2 involved minor editorial changes and clarifications as well as improved guidance for baseline determination (improved forest management projects) and new guidance for aggregating forest projects.|
|Errata and Clarifications to Forest Project Protocol Version 3.2 (October 29, 2014)||Project developers and verifiers must refer to this document to ensure that the most current guidance is adhered to in project design and verification.|
|Forest Project Protocol Summary||This document is a one-page summary of the Forest Project Protocol Version 3.2 project eligibility requirements including project start date, additionality, and environmental safeguards.|
|Announcement Regarding Optional Carbon Pools
(March 4, 2011)
|A memo to all project developers and verification bodies regarding the disallowance of crediting optional carbon pools unless and until standardized guidance can be developed to quantify the optional pools.
*Note: As of July 3, 2012, standardized guidance has been provided for soil carbon accounting, as described below.
|Supplemental Guidance for Soil Carbon Accounting in Avoided Conversion Projects
(July 3, 2012)
|Supplemental guidance which enables the inclusion of soil carbon in certain Avoided Conversion projects.|
|Supplemental Verification Methodology – Sequential Sampling
(July 3, 2012)
|Supplemental guidance required for the verification of soil carbon estimates (if included) in Avoided Conversion projects. The verification method may be applied to other sampled carbon pools.|
Summary of Changes from Version 3.1 to 3.2
- Changed and clarified the requirements for establishing a baseline for improved forest management (IFM) projects. These changes address legal agreements and project area selection. To review more detail about the baseline changes, see the Forest Project Baseline Determination webpage
- Edited and incorporated the forest verification protocol, which was formerly a standalone document, into the Forest Project Protocol itself (Section 10)
- Added further guidance on how to determine a common practice value for IFM projects
- Removed the “Appendix F” data table and created an “Assessment Area Data File” which is regularly updated on the Reserve’s website
- Changed requirements so that projects can span multiple FIA assessment areas
- Clarified requirements for submission of attestation forms and regulatory compliance
- Edited and clarified reporting requirements
- Clarified requirements and guidance related to the reporting and verification cycle for projects
- Corrected calculation methods for leakage and harvested wood products so that projects that increase harvesting levels are not unfairly penalized
Guidelines for aggregating forest projects are now available on the main Forest Project Protocol webpage.
- Methodology for using the Forest Soil Carbon Loss Lookup Table by Alex Gershenson, PhD
- Verification of Forest Carbon Project Plots Using Sequential Statistical Methods by Tim Robards, PhD
Please contact the Policy Team with questions or comments.